Monday, August 21, 2006

Update time!!

I have been doing a loooot this weekend. On friday, as you can see from the last blog, Adelaide and I had a fun little cultural excursion. We went to the Cemetario de Recoleta, a famous cemetary in the middle of the city where a bunch of important families have these incredible tombs and statues etc. Eva Duarte de Peron, yes the famous evitaaaa, is there. I was surprised though because it took us awhile to find her tomb (especially since we refused to buy the stupid map from the weirdo toothless lady parading around in front of the cemetary). It wouldn't have caught my eye had I not been looking for it- down a little side alley and beautiful architecture but not really excessive or anything. So we spent a while walking around the cementary. Luckily it was a really beautiful day out so it sort of counteracted the fact that we were hanging out in a cemetary lol. After awhile, we went to the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes which featured European art on one floor and Argentine works on another. It was kind of small but a good thing to see. They had a few pieces by famous people and some cool Argentine stuff but overall I liked the Malba museum a lot more- a lot of the european religious stuff all starts to look the same to me after awhile whereas the argentine and latin American stuff is so much more.. passionate and colorful.
That evening we met up with Marin the other french kid and his brother (whose name I cant say or spell to save my life, something like Foulq...? hahah) anyway, yeah his brother is a flight attendent for AirFrance (and not homosexual, surprisingly since he dressed pretty well, but that may just be because he was french lol) and is in Buenos Aires for a few days visiting Marin. Anyway, we went to this bar near Plaza Serrano with the frenchies which I can't remember the name of but we had passed by a few times and always thought looked neat. It turned out that they had some live music and it was a nice place, not too expensive and a good time really over all. I really liked the music- a good change from all the techno i've been hearin lately lol. I guess you could say it was Guacho music??? lol or more like argentine country or something lol but they at first had some old guy playing the piano who was pretty good. Then a blind guy came and played guitar and sang, followed by a full on band with accordion and everything. As i describe this I realize I am doing it no justice lol but yeah, it was good. The Canadians also came and from there we went out dancing (as usual) til the early morning at this place called Mint. My roommates have told me its a fun place and I got in for free, so I mean that alone would make it good. lol but the music was good, the atmosphere was also fun. and Rumbi told me its even better on Saturday's so I'm sure I'll be headin there again.
Saturday Adelaide, Marin and I went and hung out with some Colombians from the hostel, Camilo, Jorge and I can't remember lol but we spent the day with them, walking around Plaza Francia (again) at the little fair deal and we ended up hanging out by the huge mechanical flower for awhile waiting for it to shut as it got closer to night. By luck some girls one of the Colombians knew came by and were headed to this classical concert at the law building next to us and we figured we might as well go and keep up the cultural awareness or something lol. Let me tell you, the theatre was pretty impressive- this huuuge room with a big mural of some old dead people. It would be intimidating to have classes in this place lol. As we walked in, the majority of the crowd either were white haired or bald lol but again- it was free ;D. the music was actually really good, some famous pieces that reminded me of Fantasia. It was also the perfect time for a siesta lol which Marin and I pretty much took advantage of the entire time. I mean really what more could you ask for? relaxing music, comfortable chairs, a warm place... ahh. haha it was quite delightful really.
Finally after the concert it was time for dinner (which I had been waiting for all day) and we headed to our fave Desnivel for some steaks. After the dinner I was pretty much dead and Just went home and had a nice evening hanging out with the roomies. I dont know if I have mentioned this already.. but Quelcy is leaving tomorrow (tear) and Augustina moved out into her own departmento as well!! so soon it will only be the three of us.. (BIG TEAR) or apparently some new italian girl may be moving in? and I am sure somoene else will come occupy the bed in my room too.. BOO. things worked really well with Augustina so I hope I get someone half as easy to live with as she is.. Sunday I spent with the roomies as usual and we had a little despidida for Quelcy. The Italians and some other kids I've met through the roomies all came over for awhile to our apt and then we headed out to Opera Vai (for the third time,,, gah, but it was Quelcy's last night so we did as she wanted lol). It turned out really fun, as usual. The place wasn't as packed on a sunday night (ooobvio lol) but we still managed to have an amazing time and stay up way to late dancing. It still amazes me, even after a month, how these Argentines can dance all night every day of the week and still be alive lol. I will post some pics of us coming home.. it is definitely light outside lol. Opera Bay is pretty awesome though because it is out on Puerto Madero over the water. There are huge windows and its pretty crazy seeing the sunrise while a gazillion people are still dancing like crazy lol
Today I managed not to sleep the entire day even after coming home around 830 lol and did some reading out at this parque by the UB. It was a nice clear day but it got pretty cold due ot the lack of clouds. (Spring comeee to meeee) Adelaide and I hungout for awhile and I think we are planning on going to Bariloche with the Canadians on wednesday night... i am already not looking forward ot being in a damn bus for 2 days lolb ut it should be fun.. OJALA!!! More updates on that later.... Well this entry has been pretty worthless, I feel like I have talked way too much about nothing. These past few days have just been really busy and as usual I am doin a lot and looovin it. I have schoolio tomorrow and I think I am going to go to the other section of the class I have on thursday since I won't be there (heehee) and gotta figure out the bariloche details. Hope all is well for everyone!

1 comment:

Ms. V said...

BOO I WANT TO BE THERE WITH YOU SO BAD!!!