Saturday, August 12, 2006

So here is my rant about the yucko machisto attitude that I encountered last night.
Some background first: so far it hasn't been that bad really- the whole agressive orward attitude of the men here that is. Not at all actually, I mean most of them are pretty forward but havent been in a superoffending way. But last night I went out with my roommate Quelcy and two other girls from another apartment (one of whom goes to U of A actually) and we went to this club called The Roxy. I have heard that its a fun place to go and everything and it was pretty packed around 3 am when we arrived. So we check out coats and begin dancing. The music at this place was really random. One minute you would hear a typical electronica dance song. This would then be followed by some Spanish rock song. Then U2. With a round of Gwen Stefani with a little Franz Ferdinand. Then back to some crazy dance stuff. There were two big rooms and neither of them were consistent in musical genre.. kept us on our toes for sure. It was kind fun but also hard to get into a groove with the damn music changing every few minutes.
Anyway, at the Roxy we encountered some other Americans from UB and were all dancing and having a fun time. We would rotate around between the different dance floors, people wathcing, enjoying everything. But after awhile I really started to get annoyed with the grabby grosso Argentinos. I know it is expected and sometimes it's fine you know. But last night I just wanted to dance and have a good time without some creepo shouting out the only English saying he knows- (this one supercreepo followed us around for awhile and continuously shouted out "Oh My GOD" lol). It just got to be plain annoying. The worst was this one fool who was carrying a cold beer and "accidentally" touched my back with it. I was like oh jesus lol since it was cold and quite contrasting wiht the hot atmosphere of dancing. I turned around and said to him, in Spanish, boludo que haces tu cerveza está muy fria en mi espalda!! of course mostly joking but this only convinced him that it would be funny to keep doing it.. and then to try to kiss me. Class lad. At leas the tired to talk to me first, rather than the countless others who feel the need to grope you as they walk by and utter stupid lines and try to make out with you. Bleh. I know I should expect it but it hadn't been that bad at the other places I have been going. But this is probably only because I usually go out with a big group including guys... Or maybe it's just the tpyical Roxy goer.Overall though I had a fun night dancing.
Yet today I was completely worthless since we got home around 7 am and I proceeded to sleep til around 3pm this afternoon ( i mean thats only 8 hours and my body was exhausted! lol) and haven't done much since. Tomorrow I think I am going to go do some sightseeing or something around Buenos Aires and try to be less worthless. It's just so hard- I've become really nocturnal here. I think I may head to one of the outdoor street fairs they have here on the weekends. I dunno it is also kind of hard to motivate to do these thigns by myself, especially since everyone on my house has already been living here for at least a semester and have done a lot of the touristy stuff. Next weekend I am going to see if I can get Adelaide or maybe the Canadians or some people from school to go to somewhere in Argentina for a little excursion too. I can't believe i have been here for 3 weeks already! Time is flying for sure.. but it also feels like I have been here a lot longer. Weird how that happens

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

want i should mess em up some?