Thursday, July 27, 2006

Wow. Estoy cansadísima. Yesterday/lastnight/today were all pretty crazy I must admit.
Yesterday afternoon I went to lunch with Adelaide and Marin (the frenchies) and then to a movie. We saw this crazy documentary about some kid who grew up in texas and basically just had a pretty messed up life. I won't go into it because I honestly wouldn't highly recommend it lol but during the movie it started to rain. And actually raining INSIDE the theatre haha. some people had to move to avoid the drips while the rest of us strained to hear the movie over the incredible noise of the storm. It turned out it was a hailstorm but it really sounded like the building was seriously going to cave in in any moment haha. At least that made the movie entertaining. that and me trying to understand french (haha, I know).
Later last night Adelaide and I went to dinner with Marin, the three Canadians (Joel, Matt and Collin) and another american girl. We went to this really delicious buffet that pretty much had anything you coul ever want. I was surpised the chinese food they have here is really good. and mmm delicious desserts. It was a fun dinner and afterwards we went to this bar nearby called Jobs. it was a really awesome atmosphere, really big with big tv screens and pool, a huuuuge foosball table and everything. As we hung out there for awhile, some Argentines began talking to us and tried to get everyone to kiss eachother... a little weird. For awhile Marin and I pretended we were novios so we wouldn't get stuck kissing someone... meanwhile Collin told me he thought the one girl said she'd kiss him for a peso, but I figured it was only a misunderstanding (as he isn't too great at español lol) and she prolly said beso. but who knows really haha.
After awhile we decided to go to this apparently awesome discoteca called Buenos Aires News. Apparently the host dad of Collin is a lawyer who is also obsessed with la musica electronica and has a black light and huge speakers in his living room to create his own club.... haha so he told us it was the best place to go on wednesdays so we took two cabs over there. At first our cabby couldnt find it (of course, ugh it makes me so mad) and then once he did... it was closed. BOOOO mala suerte. But the other girl knew of a cool place to hang out which wasn't too far away. On our way, our cab completely died and we had to PUSH IT. hahah it was unbelivable, really. a great story though. can't say I know anyone else who had to push a cab through buenos aires at 4 in the morning haha.
Well after awhile of hanging out, a couple of us decided to go dancing. It was like 430... this city is great. We ended up at this brazilian disco (which the guys at the hostel told me today is kinda sketch) which had good music to dance to. but tragedy struck-
I had my id, credit card for emergencies, and student id card and some money of course in the inside pockets of my jacket. But as we were dancing of course I took it off and Collin held it for me... but during the dancing and such all my stuff fell out! My god I freaked out. I tried looking around and some argentinos actually tried to help but all I could find was the address to my hostel and 2 pesos.. no good. Well we immediately headed to a phone to try to cancel it but of course I didn't have any of the information so Collin calls his parents in Canada (it was like 6 Am here, so who knows there, 2?) and they send out an alert for me, (thanks Collin's parents!) and then we headed back to my hostel (which was like 15 pesos that i didn't have) and I used my skype to cancel the card. Luckily nothing had been charged and I only lost my IDs and like 30 pesos but blah, it just sucks because it was my stupid tourist mistake. I don't even know why I had my credit card with me! or why they were in my jacket. gah, estupida soy!!
At least I don't necessarily neeeeeed my ID but bleh. when I tried to get a cell phone today I forgot I didn't have my ID nor my passport (with me). it's just such a hassle that could have been easily avoided.
Also today Adelaide found out that UB doesnt actually offer the classes she needs for her finance degree so they told her she'd have to do some mba program at some business school. How ridiculous, I don't get how they can apparently show available classes online yet when she actually gets here they no longer exist. GAH. Hopefully the other place will work out, it just sucks because she already found an apartment that is really close to the UB and now this place is farther and its gonna be a pain.
Also today Adelaide and I finally went to the supermercado so tonight we are going to cook! YAY. I am getting SO tired of eating out all the time. true it's pretty cheap true but it all adds up after awhile and I am feeling like....blechy. So we bought so pasta and salad fixings. MM well I think we are going to start cooking now (even though this is extremely early in Argentine terms) but then I can go to bed and get some sleep tonight.
Even with all this I am still having a great time and just grateful that it didn't turn out worse!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Alana,
I'm so glad youre having a super-fantastic time in Argentina--and studying too!. Loved reading your blog. I'm hoping we can get together next year sometime, when you're back in the states.
Love,
Aunt Linda