Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sunday around 10PM argentina time. Man I am so in love with this place.

Everything so far has gone really well. My plane ride was uneventful... a little boring but not bad. Sat next to a cute litlte Japanese woman who slept most of the time and didn't speak english haha. but I got to watch the sunrise, it was beautiful. From the plane you could see the curvature of the earth, really amazing.
I got to the airport and my bags weren't lost and I was met by some man holding a sign that said "ALANA D JOUNG" or something like that haha. The hostel I am staying at is about an hour away from the airport ( or should I say that the airport is out in the middle of norwhere and traffic is CRAZY). But the place has also been great- the people are nice, my room is great, everything really. I just am so loving everything and it's only been three days! haha
Well tomorrow is the first day of real life here (boo). We have orientation at 9AM so I think I might actually try to sleep tonight. Haha I haven't been doing much of that, but it's been worth it. Here is a sample of my argentine schedule thus far:
-Wake up as early as possible (this meaning around noon) since I went to bed so late the night before lol
-Eat some delicious lunch around 2 or 3 PM. Today's meal was AWESOME. More about this later
- EXPLORE!! Take the subte (subway) or collectiva (bus) someplace and walk around the city
-Como la cena around or 10ish (which is early for here lol)
-Hang out, shower, etc. until 12ish
-Go out for the evening. apparently nothing is busy at night until around 2am. We went to a bar/small club last night around 1230 haha and it was pretty empty until 130, 2. When leaving at 6 AM, it was still packed.
-Return around 6 or 7 and dormir, por supuesto.
It's crazy, but I love it. Really LOVE it. I don't know how they do it really. The city is great because they never sleep. But it also doesn't make me feel unsafe or unwelcome.
Today Adelaide (a French student from the hostel who is going to the UB as well) and I went to lunch with this weirdo Belgian guy Scott. Ahh Scott, I don't even know where to begin in explaining him. He's like 42 years old and doesnt speak Spanish well.. but apparently he has been to our hostel at least 9 times.. and I guess has currently been here for the past year or so, lol. I really don't know how that is even possible but apparently it is. haha anyway, he is a nice guy for a weirdo I mean and told us about this restaurant that serves lo mejor carne in Buenos Aires. It's in San Telmo, a neighborhood in the downtown area which is around 30 minutes away by subte. Every Sunday there is an outdoor market in this area as well with cendadores with all kinds of crazy stuff. Today it started to rain and was freaking cold so we didn't stay to peruse the stuff much haha. Anyway, the restaurant, Desnivel, was basically a grill that served AWESOME steaks and Argentina's world famous beef. For lunch I had un bife de lomo (tenderloin steak if you will), papas, un chorizo, pan and vaso de quilmes (very delicious argentine beer)... all for 4 dollars. yeah. it's pretty amazing haha. The food was awesome and it's so cheap. Can't complain at all.
Well, what else? all I can say is that I am really proud of myself and SO glad I'm here doing this. Proud that I have had the courage and abilities to make friends, find my way around, speak spanish and just be independent and have a wonderful time so far. Oh and the spanish- I'm workin on learning the accent haha and slang and such. But it has been a lot easier to talk to people then I thought it would be since I haven't actually had to speak Spanish with Spanish speakers since Spain you know?

More good times to come! and I promise better stories- besos.

No comments: